Flood Insurance

The Importance of Flood Insurance

It’s a common misconception that home insurance will cover you for flooding. However, your home insurance policy will not cover flooding.

Flooding can be quite common in the state and homeowners are more likely to use a flood insurance policy during the span of a 30-year mortgage than a homeowner’s policy. Even if you aren’t in a high flood risk area, this doesn’t mean that you are immune from floods. More than 20% of claims come from those who have property outside these high-risk areas. If you do live in an area with a high risk for flooding, there can be a 25% chance that the home is flooded during your 30-year mortgage. You don’t want to be caught without this coverage when it comes to protecting your most valuable asset.

Obtaining Flood Insurance

If you own a home, you can get flood insurance through an agent at Travers Insurance. Many communities along the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers participate in the National Flood Insurance Program. The program is run by the federal government, but you don’t have to deal with the government in order to get a policy and can work directly with an agent.

Contact Travers Insurance, serving St Louis, MO, to get a quote on flood insurance.

Request A Quote